Friday, November 13, 2009




For those of you who are new to my work, I thought it'd be nice to give a little background into what I do, and where I started from. I have an individualized major in fashion design. I'm the only fashion design degree holder from UW-Green Bay. My work there was very conceptual. Here are some images from my senior show. The dresses all had content beyond being beautiful garments. The wedding dress was made from disposable materials, paper, plastic, bubble wrap, coffee filters. It was a comment on the fragility and frivolity of relationships. This idea of creating a grand spectacle, having a wedding, while keeping the option for divorce, throwing it away, disposing of it. The orange parachute dress represented falling out of control. The corset bodice gives way to the tattered shreds of parachute in the train. The black dress is made with a functional dome tent as the underpinning. The bodice can be zipped from the front and back creating an enclosure for the wearer. This one talked about grief, and how you want to put on a brave front, but secretly wish you could crawl into a dark hole and just be separated from all the sadness around you.

















The red flag dress was a literal interpretation of the idea of seeing red flags in a potential partner. I wanted the dress to be alluring and beautiful, I wanted the viewer to be drawn to it. It's a showcase of all the flaws, all the "red flags" that should warn you against getting in a relationship, while simultaneously being irresistable.

1 comment: